Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bypass OpenDNS & access blocked sites

Recently the I.T. staff at my College started using openDNS to block DIGG and many other sites and features (like chat software, myspace, facebook, twitter & a lot more). UltraSurf was the easiest way to access the blocked sites and services.

I downloaded the software from ultrareach.com, unzipped it, clicked on the exe and then clicked on "home". Internet Explorer popped up and I was able to go to all the sites that were blocked by our I.T. dept.

Now, I'm just wondering if it's completely safe. I searched google for others talking bad about UltraSurf but I didn't see anything that made me think it is unsafe to use. If anyone knows or thinks otherwise, please post a comment.

We used to access blocked sites with a vpn client running on an outside computer. My old roommate lived nearby and so we hijacked one of his family PCs so that we could surf through a VPN. I prefer to use realvnc.com's free vpn client. It's easy to use and best of all, it's free! If it doesn't work try a free logmein.com account. Gotomypc.com also has a great product but you'll end up paying for that.

There are some old tricks that used to work on some sites but I don't think they do anymore. This method did not work on our end on our most recent attempt. Maybe it will on yours...

If you know myspace's ip address you can type that in and it may work. If not, try this. Search on google.com.mx (mexico's google) and choose to translate myspace "Traducir esta página". Once the page has loaded into spanish you can reverse it back into English by swapping spanish (es) and english (en). This is how it will work...

http://translate.google.com.mx/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.myspace.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmyspace%26hl%3Des%26sa%3DG


4 comments:

David Ulevitch said...

What college would block Digg?

SP said...

Well... we could surf Digg but for some reason couldn't log in. They had blocked social networking sites.

Anonymous said...

Does this method- "UltraSurf" - still work? For the last year or so, my damn uncle put a block on my internet so I couldn't download Torrents anymore. I just used some proxy sites, and it worked like charm; just took awhile to load. But now the idiot's using OpenDNS and it's really pissing me off. EVERYTHING's blocked. No more music download, no more proxies[all of them are blocked!], nothing! Before I try this Ultrasurf idea, I just want to confirm that it still works... Thanks!

SP said...

I don't think it works anymore. OpenDNS evolved :(